Special Collections CenterElmer Holmes Bobst Library, 70 Washington Square South, Floor 2 New York, NY 10012 firstname.lastname@example.org +1 212 998 2596 Special Collections & Archives
Service Update October 24, 2022:
NYU Special Collections is open for in-person research appointments. To schedule an appointment, please ensure you have an active Special Collections Research Account (SCRA).
Appointment slots do book quickly, so please schedule as far in advance as possible.
For NYU Cardholders:
Appointments must be scheduled at least three business days in advance at all times. Appointments are scheduled via your Special Collections Research Account when you submit your research requests.
For External Researchers (Without an Active NYU ID Card):
All visitors to NYU Campus buildings, including the Library, must comply with the University’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements. Appointments must be scheduled at least three business days in advance. Please read the University’s Visitors Policy prior to requesting an appointment.
Guidelines For All Reading Room Users
- Reading room seats are limited, and appointment slots are often filled months in advance.
- Bookings are first-come, first served and we cannot guarantee the availability of preferred dates.
- Prior access to Special Collections does not guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your preferred requests at the current time.
- During visits, all individuals must abide by all health and safety protocols as per University guidelines.
Fall Term (September 6 to December 22, 2022): Monday - Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
The NYU Special Collections Center co-locates services for all our special collections including:
- Fales Library
- Tamiment Library & Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives
- University Archives
Researchers can request materials from all three repositories and use them in one place. Learn more about our collections
The Center offers our community new spaces to engage with the collections including a reading room, classrooms, and gallery spaces.
Plan Your Visit to Our Reading Room
How to Make an Appointment & Request Materials
Use of all Special Collections materials is appointment only.
Please make appointments at least 3 business days in advance of your visit.
- Register online for a Special Collections Research Account (SCRA) before your visit.
- You can use this account to schedule appointments and request materials to be pulled for your visit. Please note, due to the renovation, there is a request limit of up to 6 boxes, or books, per appointment date.
Please email email@example.com for more information.
Reading Room Policy Guidelines
- Lockers are provided outside the reading room to store your personal belongings while you are working in the reading room. You will be permitted to go back and forth to your locker as needed.
- All cell phones must be on silent.
- Photography of collection material will be permitted on a case-by-case basis, after filling out the requisite paperwork provided at the reading room desk, in good faith that the user will respect all copyright regulations as specified in the signed paperwork.
- The flash on your camera or phone MUST be turned off.
- All users must show a Violet Go pass to enter the building.
- Visitors must login on the day of their appointment using Violet Go in a web browser in order to enter the building.
What Can Be Brought Into the Reading Room?
- Laptops (without cases)
- Mobile phone on silent with flash disabled
- Camera with flash disabled
- Paper or notebook
- Personal reference books or material, after checking them with Reading Room staff
- Ink pens
- Food and/or drink (including water)
- Backpack, purse, or any type of bag of any size
- Coat, jacket, or umbrella
- Pencil case
- Laptop case
- Any type of liquid or gel including hand sanitizer or moisturizer
NYU offers guest wifi access for non-NYU affiliated researchers. Staff members at the desk can provide you with registration details.
Handling of Materials
You must follow staff instructions on handling the collection material at all times. Some regular rules to keep in mind:
Books will be served one at a time. If you are using a book, you must keep it in the cradle it is served on at all times. Use only the weights provided to hold open the pages. If you need assistance using the book, don’t hesitate to ask the staff.
Fales manuscript material will be served one folder at a time. You must keep foldered material flat on the table and in the order you receive it in, turning the pages like you’re turning pages in a book.
All other archival collections will be served one box at a time. Only take one folder at a time, and use an out card to mark your place. You must keep foldered material flat on the table and in the order you receive it, turning the pages like you’re turning pages in a book.
If you are using a binder, all of the material must stay flat on the table. DO NOT take photographs or negatives out of the plastic sheets they are encapsulated in. Binder contents MUST stay in the order that you receive them.
You must wear gloves provided to you by staff if you are handling unencapsulated photographs or negatives.
Failure to adhere to these regulations or any other direction by reading room staff may result in loss of access to NYU Special Collections.
These guidelines keep NYU Special Collections in pristine condition. Thank you in advance for your understanding regarding these policies.
Your cooperation ensures the continued preservation and accessibility of these materials for future students, scholars, and researchers.
Special Collections Classrooms
Three multimedia classrooms support innovative, technology-enhanced teaching based on special collections.
For more information about special collections classes or to schedule, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Collections Galleries
When the renovation is complete the Special Collections Center will have two self-contained exhibition galleries and a large reception area that will double as gallery space.
All three spaces will feature rotating exhibitions of special collections content. Check back for updates!
Please Note: Due to our current staffing schedule we will be unable to accommodate any outgoing loans of collection materials at the present time.
See our Loan Policy for more details.