Update: November 4, 2022
How to Use Library Spaces
Details about how to use library spaces, including entrance protocols, classrooms, and study spaces are below. The procedures may be different from previous semesters.
All Libraries buildings and spaces continue to conform to current University guidelines for health protocols and policies.
- Please note, Courant Library building is closed due to construction.
- Please see the library locations directory for details.
NYU Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Buildings are open to all NYU Students, Faculty, and staff
- All NYU users must show their “Violet Go” pass to enter NYU buildings. Violet Go is available on the NYU Mobile App.
- Non-degree/non-credit (non-matriculated) students do not have access to any library resources, including physical access to the buildings.
- All visitors, except The New School and Cooper Union students and faculty, must register in advance (at least 5-7 days) for access to the Libraries
- Visitors must comply with all University health policies including proof vaccination and booster.
- All non-NYU cardholders will continue to login daily using the Violet Go web and email pass to access the Libraries. We cannot accommodate walk-in visitors.
Visitor and external community member access to Bobst is currently limited to the following groups:
- Special Collections visitors must be pre-approved. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Palmer students enrolled in onsite classes in Bobst.
- Friends of Bobst Reader, Collector, and Borrower levels of the Friends of Bobst Library program are now able to use Bobst Library through December 23, 2022.
- Consortium Students & Faculty: Starting in early September, New School and Cooper Union students and faculty may access Bobst using Daily Screener and their school ID.
- New York School of Interior Design students and faculty should contact email@example.com individually to start the registration process.
- MaRLI members
- METRO card holders
- Government Document Researchers: By appointment only, due to current University visitor policies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Columbia University Students
- NYU Retirees
- Employee family members over 5 years of age. Employees should arrange access with their school’s Human Resources Officer.
Other NYU Libraries
- Brause Library:
- Access to licensed NYC brokers currently suspended due to University visitor policies.
- There is no alumni, Friends of Bobst, or Consortial access.
- Dibner Library: the NYU’s visitor policy applies to all potential library and archives.
- Dibner will consider sponsorship requests on a case-by-case basis.
- Student affiliated visitors are not permitted entry into 5 MetroTech and Dibner Library.
- Institute of Fine Arts Library (IFA): There is currently no access for non-NYU visitors. For questions, email email@example.com.
- Institute for the Study of the Ancient World (ISAW), see the ISAW website for information about access.
Classrooms in Bobst
- In addition to the regular Bobst Classrooms the following spaces will be used for University-scheduled classes in the Fall:
- LL1 Computing Labs: PC1, PC2, and the Mac Lab
- Most of the 2nd Floor Special Collections classrooms
- University Masks & PPE policies apply in all classrooms
- Library study spaces, including stacks seating, are available during open hours.
- Reservable Group Rooms, graduate collaboratives, AFC media collaboratives and other group spaces and amenities in Bobst, Dibner, and Brause libraries are available.
- Group Rooms are bookable for NYU students in the Libraries’ Room Reservation system.
- Whiteboard markers are available for check out from Circulation & Reserves at the service desk in Bobst’s atrium, or the service desks at Dibner and Brause.
- Individual reservable rooms are available at Bobst and Dibner Libraries.
- Dissertation Writers Rooms (DWRs) in Bobst are open and accessible for all eligible Doctoral students.
- Interview Spaces: Wasserman has a limited number of spaces for interview purposes that can be booked via the Recruitment Team, firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 212-998-4737.
Bobst Remote Learning Spaces
- There are several designated Remote Learning Spaces in the Libraries.
- Students with virtual/physical class adjacencies have been notified by the University Registrar that they have a reservation in one of these spaces
- Other users can use the spaces on a first-come, first-served basis, but must scan the associated QR code to verify that it is not reserved for a student with an adjacency.
- Remote Learning Spaces are managed by the University.
Printing and Scanning
- Printing, scanning, and public computer use is available at Bobst and Dibner Libraries.
- Visit the NYU Print Service: Print Station locations to find additional places to print on campus.
- Limited equipment loan is available at Bobst and Dibner
- Data Services Lab computers and reservable stations are available.
- Digital Studio workstations are open.
Elevators and Stairs
- Elevators are available.
- Stairs are open.
Restrooms and Facilities
- Restrooms are available.
- A gender neutral bathroom is available in Bobst on Lower Level 2.
- Library spaces are cleaned in-line with University and state requirements.