This page contains information about access options and directions for how to set up your off-campus access to NYU Libraries e-resources.
Access is available to all NYU students enrolled in degree or diploma programs, faculty, and staff.
Some resource vendors use EZproxy to authenticate that off-campus users are part of the NYU license.
If you’ve already logged in to NYU systems, you’ll pass through EZproxy automatically. Otherwise, log in using your NetID and password.
To reach resources through the EZProxy
- Use the links provided in NYU Libraries’ Catalogs, A-Z lists, and Research Guides
http://proxy.library.nyu.edu/login?url=to the resource URL.
If the URL of an article is:
Edit the URL to look like:
NYU EZproxy Bookmarklet
- Add the proxy bookmarklet to your browser
If the links or favorites toolbar is not visible in your browser, enable it under Options > Bookmarks Toolbar (Firefox) or View > Toolbars (Internet Explorer).
- If you are on a touch device, or unable to click or drag links
- Create a bookmark
- Edit the bookmark URL field so it contains
- You may get a security alert that the favorite bookmark might not be safe, although it is. Click Yes.
- The bookmarklet is compatible with most web browsers and platforms.
- You can also save the bookmarklet in your bookmarks folder instead of in the toolbar to continue.
Single Sign On (SSO)
Many resource sites (Elsiever, and ACS for example) can use NYU’s SSO for off-campus access, so you won’t need the VPN or EZproxy.
NYU’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) *NYU VPN: All Traffic*
vpn.nyu.edu and vpnsec.nyu.edu users select the “All Traffic” option in the “Group” field dropdown when logging into the VPN.
How to install and use the VPN for laptops and desktops
How to install and use the VPN on mobile devices
Once on NYU VPN: All Traffic search for e-resources as normal.
Check that you’re using the NYU VPN: All Traffic
If you are using another NYU VPN, or non-NYU VPN it may not be compatible with on-campus, or off-campus access to library resources.
- NYU Shanghai users: the VPN is required for off-campus access to library resources.
There is a NetID issue, or you may not have activated your NetID
If you’re on the VPN and using EZproxy but still can’t access resources
Contact Ask a Librarian and someone will help you.
We suggest using one of NYU’s recommended browsers for the best experience and added security.