Skip to main content

From the time of its founding in 1831 until 1973, New York University housed its library collections in various campus locations. A major gift from Elmer Holmes Bobst and his wife, Mamdouha, enabled the university to bring its various collections together in a new library on Washington Square in 1973. Designed in red sandstone by Philip Johnson and Richard Foster, the Elmer Holmes Bobst Library is the flagship of the Division of Libraries. Since 2004, a multiphase renovation has transformed six of its twelve library floors and created a versatile Research Commons on floors 4, 5, and 6, to be expanded to 7 in early 2017.