The New York University Archives serves as the final repository for the historical records of NYU. Its primary purpose is to document the history of the University and to provide source material for administrators, faculty, students, alumni, and other members of the University community, as well as scholars, authors, and other interested persons who seek to evaluate the impact of the University’s activities on the history of American social, cultural, and intellectual development.
Over the next two years NYU will be carrying out a major renovation of the 2nd and 3rd floors of Bobst Library to create a new, unified home for its three special collections - Fales Library, Tamiment Library & Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives, and the University Archives. For information about our exciting plans and about possible impact on our services, please visit our renovation website.
Highlighted Collecting Areas
University records encompass the records or papers generated or received by the various administrative offices of New York University in the conduct of their business. These collections include materials from a variety of administrative offices and organizations, from minutes of the University Council/Board of Trustees to departmental records, accreditation reports, University publications, and records of the various alumni organizations. They also include materials in a wide variety of formats, from correspondence to audiovisual recordings to electronic records.
As a means of documenting the internal life and culture of the University community, we acquire and provide access to the personal and professional papers of selected New York University faculty, and offer access to records and papers related to the history of New York University.
The Research Institute for the Study of Man (RISM) brought the burgeoning methodologies of the social sciences to bear on the study of developing and rapidly changing societies.
These Papers document the career of Johns Brademas as a U.S. Congressional Representative from Indiana’s Third District from 1959 to 1981.