Media Preservation Unit (212) 992-9011
Working hand-in-hand with special collections and Avery Fisher Center for Music and Media staff of NYU Libraries, the Barbara Goldsmith Preservation and Conservation Department Media Preservation Unit strives to extend the usable life of the Library's film, video, and audio collections through preventive and remedial treatments, training, research, and select preservation reformatting.
Led by the Media Preservation Unit Head, the unit is supported by the Media Preservation Lab Supervisor, a transfer technician, and trained graduate students.
Services include:Preventive Care
- • Comprehensive inspection of film, video, and audio materials to determine condition and to document physical characteristics such as format, age, and type of material.
- • Testing and evaluation of deterioration and damage.
- • Conservation treatments, such as basic cleaning and repair.
- • Improvement of the micro-environment through re-housing.
- • Provision of temporary storage for high-risk media.
- • Assistance to staff with the development of preservation and access plans, including the identification of vendors, outsourcing work orders and quotes, shipping and tracking of materials, and quality control.
- • Inspection for quality control purposes of preservation masters and access copies.
- • Provision of facilities for identification of film, video, and audio materials by Library staff.
- • Promotion of proper handling, documentation, and storage of media through training and education.
- • Collaboration with the graduate Moving Image Archiving and Preservation Program (MIAP) in the Cinema Studies Department of the Tisch School of the Arts for training of new professionals.
- • Consultation and services in preservation planning and funding.
- • Research into methodologies for surveying, treating, and reformatting of film, video, and audio materials.
- • Creation of video preservation masters and high-quality access copies from 3/4" Umatic & UmaticSP, VHS & S-VHS, Betacam, BetacamSP, DVCAM and Mini-DV sources.
- • Creation of audio preservation masters and high-quality access copies from phonodisc, 1/4" open reel, audiocassette, CD, and DAT sources.
- • For information on the Video At Risk project, please visit the Current Projects page.
StaffMedia Preservation Unit Head
- Kimberly Tarr
- tel. 212-998-2692
- Ben Moskowitz
- tel. 212-998-2551
The Media Preservation Unit is located in the Preservation Department, Lower Level 2, in the Bobst Library. Contact Kimberly Tarr, Media Preservation Unit Head, for further information.